In Hong Kong, salary tax is commonly referred to as salary tax. It is a progressive tax on income earned by individuals. Here’s how you can pay your salary tax in Hong Kong:

1. Filing the Tax Return: The tax year in Hong Kong runs from April 1st to March 31st of the following year. You are required to file your tax return (Form BIR60) within one month from the date of issue. The Inland Revenue Department (IRD) typically issues tax returns in early April.

2. Calculate Your Taxable Income: You will need to calculate your taxable income based on the income you earned during the tax year. Deductions and allowances may apply, so make sure to review the current tax rates and allowances set by the Hong Kong government.

3. Completing the Tax Return: Fill out the tax return accurately and completely. Ensure you include all your sources of income and relevant deductions. You can complete the tax return manually or online through the eTAX portal provided by the IRD.

4. Submit the Tax Return: Submit your tax return by the specified deadline, which is usually within one month from the date of issue. You can submit it by mail or electronically through the eTAX portal.

5. Assessment and Payment: After reviewing your tax return, the IRD will issue an assessment that shows the amount of tax you owe or any refund you are entitled to.

6. Payment: You can pay your salary tax in Hong Kong through various methods:

  • Online Banking: You can make a payment through your bank’s online banking system. Use the payee code provided on your tax return for reference.
  • ATM: Some banks allow you to pay your taxes at their ATMs.
  • Cheque: You can mail a crossed cheque along with your payment slip to the Inland Revenue Department.
  • Payment at Post Office: You can pay in person at designated post offices.

7. Payment Deadline: Ensure you pay your tax by the due date mentioned on your assessment. Late payments of salary tax may result in penalties and interest charges.

8. Keep Records: Maintain records of your tax return, assessment, and payment receipts for future reference and potential audits.

If you have complex financial situations or are unsure about your tax obligations, you can consider seeking advice from a tax consultant or accountant with expertise at Hong Kong Company Formation now!

Cannot find your answer? Talk to us now